Pain in Rib Joints: Can Chiropractic Care Help?
Have you ever heard someone say, “I threw my rib out?” When your ribs are out of alignment, the pain can be intense. Sometimes the pain can be mistaken for a heart-related disorder, gastro esophageal reflux, or something else. Thankfully, chiropractic care can help.
What Causes Rib Subluxation?
According to Massachusetts chiropractors, rib joint pain or rib subluxation can occur due to:
- Bad Posture: Poor posture exerts stress on the spine. This usually happens over time and can cause the ribs to dislocate.
- Extreme Coughing: Coughing excessively or sneezing hard can lead to the dislocation of your ribs.
- Pregnancy: A woman’s body undergoes many changes during pregnancy. Her main body weight shifts to the front and the rib cage continues to have a constant downward pull. This can also result in a rib subluxation.
- Excessive Vomiting: Sometimes the convulsive action of vomiting can also cause problems for your ribs.
What are the Symptoms?
Chiropractors in Lowell have observed the following symptoms among rib subluxation patients:
- Swelling in the affected area
- Pain in the back and chest area
- Difficulty in breathing
- Pain in moving
- Numbness in the surrounding ribs
- Painful sneezing and coughing
Does Chiropractic Care Help?
Chiropractic care is considered to be one of the most effective treatments for rib subluxation. Your chiropractor will ask you to undergo various tests to find out the condition and position of your rib. Once they diagnose the dislocation of the rib, he or she will use a wide range of chiropractic methods to comfort the area and put the ribs back where they belong.
Vibration, stretching, and massages may be used to help the patient. Your chiropractor will apply firm pressure to gently get the rib into its proper position. Sometimes, stabilization is used to quicken the healing process. Normally the patient does not feel any pain during the sessions.
If you’re suffering from rib pain and are searching for an experienced chiropractor, feel free to get in touch with Dr. Paul Daigle of Central Street Chiropractic. He and his team have over 27 years of experience in this field. Visit www.centralstreetchiropractic.com to book your appointment with these experienced professionals.